No recipe this time, just another edition of my tweaks to approved THM recipes! (Check out my first edition here!)
These are both Fuel Pulls, which star as way to either round off your meal or to have as a light snack.
#1 Instant Cookie Dough Protein Bars (FP), Trim Healthy Table, page 428 (follow recipe directions).
I multiply the recipe by 8. I figure if I already have the ingredients out, I may as well make it worth my while!
Here’s what I do to tweak it:
1. Replace the pressed peanut flour with an equal amount of powdered almond butter. (Find it here or at your local grocery/health food store.)
2. Replace the gentle sweet with an equal amount of Swerve confectioners style sweetener. This will make the bars smooth, with no graininess from the gentle sweet.
3. Use the amount of water called for in the recipe, replacing 2 teaspoons of it with 3/4 teaspoon caramel flavoring, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring.
4. Replace 1/2 of the chocolate chips with an equal amount of finely chopped nuts of your choice.
5. If making the 8x recipe, increase the salt to 1/4 teaspoon TOTAL.
For dividing these up, I have used a silicone bar pan like this or else I press it evenly into a 8 or 9 inch square pan lined with parchment paper baking or plastic wrap. Pop it into the fridge to chill, then remove from pan and cut it into 8 pieces.
If you want to turn these into a S, simply increase the butter by 1/2, or double the chocolate chips or nuts!
#2 THM Chocolate Whey Protein (find it here, check at your local health food store, or use another on plan chocolate whey protein!)
I debated even sharing this, as it is SO extremely simple, it’s not even a recipe!
I’m not even sure if people need this, but considering this is one my favorite ways to get a little extra protein and my favorite bedtime snack, here goes!
Salted Caramel Protein Hot Chocolate -16 oz.
Fill your 16 oz. mug with 1/2 water and 1/2 cashew milk (or other nondairy milk of your choice).
Pour all but about 1/3 cup of it into small pan and heat to just below boiling. (It’s important it’s not boiling. Read why below!)
Add 1 scoop (1/4 cup) chocolate whey protein powder, 1/2 teaspoon caramel flavoring, & a pinch of salt to milk in mug and blend well until smooth, using a battery operated whisk (or pour cold milk into blender and add whey protein.. blend on low until smooth).
It’s very important to dissolve the whey protein powder in COLD liquid. If you add straight hot liquid to the whey, it’ll curdle & who wants to eat curds and whey unless you’re Little Miss Muffet?!?
Add hot milk to cold milk mixture and blend just until completely mixed and all protein powder is dissolved.
If you’re wanting to turn the hot chocolate into an S instead of a FP, there are a few options:
1. Add a few Tablespoons of 1/2 & 1/2 to your milk/water mixture.
2. Top finished hot chocolate generously with homemade whipped cream.
3. Add a Tablespoon of butter, coconut oil, or ghee when blending in the last step. If you do this option, it’ll fit in the Deep S category which concentrates only on the most pure and healthiest fats.
Feel free to switch out the caramel flavor for other flavors/extracts. I haven’t tried many, but I’d imagine any berry flavorings would be delicious, as would be mint! Leave out the salt if you’re switching out for other flavors.